Re: exim & printer

[ Replying to a privat email ]

Paul, I think it's better if we stick to the list to discus things,
as I'm likely to err and here others can correct me.

> I just got both your e-mails.
> The linux tech that spent 4 hours on the machine said
> exim should not be in the print path and commented it
> out.

I still don't get this.  In what file did he uncomment it.
And what do you mean with `the print path', where is it.

> Now I get an error message 'unable to open exim"
> exim has a symbolic link to sendmail which I don't
> use.

I take it you'll get this when you try to print.
What is the command you're giving?

Oh, and those links:  many programs have come to expect to be able to
use sendmail to do the mailing for them.  Ofcourse those programs don't
really care whether it *is* sendmail, so any program capable of looking
to those programs as sendmail will do as long as they can call it sendmail.
And that's precisely what those symlinks do, they defer a call to sendmail
to exim.

> I am not using cups. I don't understand how to install
> it. I did a download of potato a year ago and took all
> defaults. It seem to be a 'lp' command.

Use `dselect' to find out whether you have the package `lpr' or `lprng'.

And while you're at it, look whether `magicfilter' or `apsfilter' are
installed.  Those packages help massage the printfiles so they print
properly.  Oh, and what printer are you using?

And show us what you have in `/etc/printcap'.

--
groetjes, carel