Re: perl: warning: Setting locale failed

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:35:15AM +0100, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> Kind all - I seem to be missing some vital setting in my system. When I
> start some application from the command line, I get these messages:
>
>   perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>   perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>   	LANGUAGE = (unset),
> 	LC_ALL = (unset),
> 	LC_CTYPE = "",
> 	LANG = "en.ISO-8859-1"
>       are supported and installed on your system.
>   perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> Can someone point me to a fix for this?

here's my setup--

	% printenv | grep "LC|LANG" | sort
	LANG=C
	LC_CTYPE=en_US

	% egrep "\\<LC|LANG" /etc/environment ~/.??*
	/etc/environment:LANG=C
	/home/will/.cshrc:setenv LC_CTYPE en_US

also try

	% locale
	LANG=C
	LC_CTYPE=en_US
	LC_NUMERIC="C"
	LC_TIME="C"
	LC_COLLATE="C"
	LC_MONETARY="C"
	LC_MESSAGES="C"
	LC_ALL=

(man locale)

you might put such commands in your .login or .bashrc
files to get the same setup on every log-in. there may
even be a utility that'll set this up for you, and if so,
surely someone wiser than me will tell you about it,
Any Minute Now. :)

does that help?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #28 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>