Re: LAN to Internet gateway problem

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:36:31 +0100, Stephan Hachinger wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm trying to configure one of my machines as a router to the
>internet, so that I can access the internet from my LAN. My second
>computer in my lan is 192.168.90.5 (pentiumdioxid), this machine I
>want to configure as router is 192.168.90.95 (stephan). Stephan has a
>second network card inside (192.168.37.95) and connects to the
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shouldn't this card (eth1?) have a WAN address rather than a reserved
block address?  If your DSL ISP assigns dynamic addresses,
/etc/network/interfaces should probably contain:
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

As I understand it, if you have
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.37.95
	netmask 255.255.255.0

then the internet (WAN) cannot see your address as it is reserved for
intranets (LAN).

>internet over this card and dsl (pppoE). Now, this is what I've
>tried:
>
>-Modifying the route table on pentiumdioxid (see attached route
>output)-Installing dnrd, a dns forwarder, on stephan (dns resulution
>seems to work without problems now)-setting ip_forward to "yes" in
>/etc/network/options on stephan
>
>I've also attached hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

Due to acute attacks of paranoia, I am unable to open your
non-plain-text attachments.  Your default gateway in pentiumdioxid's
route should be 192.168.90.95.

At this point, my hardware router/switch/gateway/firewall takes over and
I can add nothing.

>The problem is, when I try to ping www.debian.org from pentiumdioxid,
>pentiumdioxid gets the ip adress of debian.org (198.186.203.20) but
>it doesn't get any packages back.
>
>I'd be very glad if anyoune can help me.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Stephan
>
>P.S.: Into which file can I put the routing table modifications so
>that the modified routing table is automatically loadad at startup?

man route

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash