Re: searching for an ICQ application

> > > doens't need gnome (I'm using kde at the moment)? The problem with
> > > all new licq versions I've tried etc. is that I cannot send any
> > > messages (connnection is
> > > rejected by peer or the msgs simply don't arrive); is this normal
> > > or perhaps related to a bad configuration of my networking?
> >
> > if you are connecting behind NAT, then most likely most
> > of your direct sends will fail(as will file transfers).
> > i use licq (i have it up 24/7 but maybe send 1 message
> > per week), and i tell it to 'send through server'. and
> > it works everytime.
>
> I never could quite get licq to work on my system, but I've been using
> Gaim for a while now and loving it. I don't know how recently licq has
> been updated, but ICQ is no longer using their old protocol, which could
> have something to do with your connection issues. They are now using
> Oscar, the same protocol used by AIM. Just get Gaim and make a new
> connection using the Oscar protocol, using your ICQ # as your username.
>
> Be warned though, that Gaim only really does messages. Don't be counting
> on file transfers or any other fancy ICQ stuff. But messaging works
> great. I'm behind a NAT box here, and I haven't had a single problem
> yet.

Is it mean the Oscar protocol is same as ICQ2000 protocol?
I use a centericq (cvs version), which is best ICQ i ever seen :-) coz it is
ncurses based and my SSH connection is always available.
Under X I use Ickle (cvs too) which is similar to GnomeICU.
With this clients I have no problems to comunivcate with other ICQ clients.

BTW: Ickle (in near future) can send SMS :-)

--
   Ondrej "AndreW" Zima
   Memeber of Czech ATO