Re: Setting Ulimits by default.

>     My questions are:
>
>     1) Is this limit established by the kernel, or the shell.
	The limit is definitly extablished by the kernel
        The operating system controls and schedules the processes

>     2) Given the answer to 1), what is the best way to re-set it to
>     1024 reliably--meaning that I need to do this currently to 10
>     machines, then over the next couple months roll this out across 80
>     or 90 machines.

      I've never actually had to do this so I'll point to where I believe
      you can do this
      Have a look at /etc/security/limits.conf
      I think
      *       soft   nproc       1024

      will do what you need
      I hope this helps