Setting Ulimits by default.

    We're having a bit of a problem with our debian machines on heavily
    loaded servers relating to the number of threads or processes that
    can be spawned.

    Currently the default is set at 256 processes (soft) and "unlimited"
    hard. I need to set the default to 1024.

    We are currently running a 2.4.17 variant of the kernel, and the
    rest of the OS is a snapshot of debian-unstable.

    My questions are:

    1) Is this limit established by the kernel, or the shell.

    2) Given the answer to 1), what is the best way to re-set it to
    1024 reliably--meaning that I need to do this currently to 10
    machines, then over the next couple months roll this out across 80
    or 90 machines.

    The stuff I've seen

--
Share and Enjoy.