Re: resource for newbie

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:05:53AM -0500, Chris Jenks wrote:
> At 09:21 AM 2/20/02, kar@foomonster.co.uk wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:16:01AM -0500, Chaz Kiser wrote:
> >  > I'm totally and thoroughly new to Debian, is there any books out there
> > that
> >  > would be appropriate for a Debian newbie, or a Linux newbie in general?

I started off late last year and bought Steve Hunger's DEBIAN
GNU/LINUX BIBLE.

I had no linux experience whatsoever and so this, apart from this
mailing list, was my only lifeline.

The books covers everything but not in any great depth.  I found it
useful as an intoduction to what gives, an overview on the various
packages that are available, the various uses to which you can put
your linux box.  As such it has been helpful and you have to start
somewhere.  However its lack of depth has been frustrating at times.

There is a big gap between the man pages and the book that needs to
be addressed.  Debian documentation does not bridge the gap for the
newbie who needs simple straightforward documentation - and likely
for a standalone dialup machine which is the last thing that the
documentation covers.

My experience has been that to get up and running you need to:

investigate the man pages
read the documentation in .usr/share/doc bearing in mind that it is
not all debian-specific and in any case assumes that you are a unix
guru to start off with
get some book aimed at the neophyte, probably any is as good as
another, so search amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com and get
_something_ that is not too advanced and that you can sit up in bed
and read.
then, the _BEST_ thing going is generally this group.

lastly, there are newgroups that cover most of the packages
themselves, and these can be more targeted if you cannot get help
here.

If you have had the benefit of 10 years of M$ self-training, the
last thing you need to do is to uninstall/reinstall, this is a hard
habit to break and is generally unecessary with linux.  It is truly
all in the configuration files and the dependancy of one package on
another.

Go well, it is a steep learning curve but unless you want to be a
microserf slave with the latest xp then get going.

Ian