Solved: Need help with mailman setup

The reason that mailman wasn't working, images weren't showing on the
homepage,and I couldn't see the apache docs was....
I wasn't running apache.

Somehow, I had installed dhttpd, described as a secure web server that
doesn't run cgi-bin scripts.

I noticed this when I started to file a bug report, and saw dhttp
listed on the dependencies.   This is a little odd, since apt-cache
does not show a dependency of apache on dhttpd.  I also couldn't track
down where debian decides which web server gets the http requests.

So I'm curious to know the answer to those questions, but my immediate
problem is solved.