Re: Mouse hangs in X

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 06:53:00AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Every once in a while (more often in KDE than others) my mouse will freeze.
>  I can still use the keyboard.
>
> I see this in my output:
>
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>         No such file or directory.
> (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
>
> cat /etc/gpm.conf
> #
> device=/dev/psaux
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=ms3
> type=ps2
> append=""

Try changing  gpm.conf so that repeat_type=raw and XF86Config-4 to use
/dev/gpmdata instead of /dev/psaux.

> It's a Logitech basic ps2 optical wheel mouse.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Here's interesting parts of my XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection

These two InputDevice sections are to configure X to use a ps2 and USB
mouse at the same time. You may also want to configure gpm to use both
mice. If it's the USB mouse that freezes, just unplug it and plug
it back in.

Also, the wheel on my mouse performs the function of third button by
pressing it, If your mouse does the same, you do not need to emulate
three buttons.