Re: Using multiple versions of gcc

On 24 Feb 2002, Balazs Javor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have never done any developement on gcc before,
> however I have the necessary packages installed, so that I
> can compile packages distributed as source only.
>
> I have both gcc 2.95.x and 3.x installed on my Woody box
> and they seem to coexist just fine.
>
> Now some packages seem to have preferences mostly against
> using 3.x.
>
> How do I know which compiler is invoked by calling the install
> script?
> Also if I would want to use one of the compilers explicitly,
> how would I invoke them?

The default is set to 2.95.x (at least on i386 archs). So calling gcc or
g++ will give you the 2.95.x version (this is what gcc is symlinked to,
which you can verify by doing "ls -la $(which gcc)" ). This is done
because not everything yet supports version 3.0. If you want gcc 3.0 you
need to invoke it explicitly by gcc-3.0 or g++-3.0 .

For more, see the README.Debian.gz in usr/share/doc/gcc-3.0 .

                                                            Faheem.