Re: Mail clients (and text editors)

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 14:28, Patrick Kirk wrote:

> Evolution is a heavy application and has some quirks.  but it is a very
> good IMAP client in that it allows shortcuts to your frequently used
> mailboxes and only asks you to select from mailboxes as opposed to all
> files.

I run an IMAP server to make it easier to get at my mail remotely, and
Evolution works great with it. Yes, Evolution is a bit on the "heavy"
side, but if you've got a relatively recent system, it's not really
noticeable. As for speed with IMAP, I've got about a dozen folders
holding ~10,000 messages, and I have no complaints. I periodically run a
filter which moves messages older than 1 month to an Archive folder so
that my inbox stays around 500 messages, and it takes about 1.5 seconds
for the folder to open when I'm on the LAN. (Time will vary depending on
your connection speed to the IMAP server.)

-Alex

p.s. In regards to the original message, esp. the part about a good text
editor, I'd STRONGLY encourage anyone who doesn't already know one, to
either learn Vim or Emacs. I perfer Emacs and I have all of my Gnome
keybindings set to Emacs style, and each passing day I wonder how I ever
lived without it.