Re: ethernet

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:33:45 +0000 Gerard Robin <robin.jag@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
> Sorry for this silly question, but I am newbie with the ethernet.
> I plan to make a network local with three machines:
>
> M1:pentium 166 with potato, M2: 486SX with slink, M3: 486SX with slink
>
> I have read the Howto Ethernet and the NET4-HOWTO and I installed
> a (old) card accton (ISA) and the drivers 8390 + ne on the machine M1.
> modprobe ne io=0x300 gives me:
> ne.c:v1-10  9/23/94 Donald Becker ....
> eth0:NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 3
>
> Now Y can't use my modem because it uses ttyS1 with IRQ 3.
> (ttyS0 with IRQ 4 is for my mouse)
> How can I use my modem now for that the three machines be connected
> to the internet ?

Maybe the NIC was confiured to use IRQ3.   How is the IRQ set on
the ISA ne-type NIC?  With DIP switches (The Way God Meant It To
Be) or with a DOS configuration disk?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |