Re: ethernet

Hi,

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Gerard Robin wrote:

> Hello,
> Sorry for this silly question, but I am newbie with the ethernet.
> I plan to make a network local with three machines:
>
> M1:pentium 166 with potato, M2: 486SX with slink, M3: 486SX with slink
>
> I have read the Howto Ethernet and the NET4-HOWTO and I installed
> a (old) card accton (ISA) and the drivers 8390 + ne on the machine M1.
> modprobe ne io=0x300 gives me:
> ne.c:v1-10  9/23/94 Donald Becker ....
> eth0:NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 3
>
> Now Y can't use my modem because it uses ttyS1 with IRQ 3.
> (ttyS0 with IRQ 4 is for my mouse)
> How can I use my modem now for that the three machines be connected
> to the internet ?

Y? M2 you mean?

Well, generally, set the networkcard to another IRQ. That will keep IRQ 3
free for the modem. Search with google for a configuration program for
your networdcard. This is usually a simple DOS setup program, which allows
you to change the card's settings. Set the card to a free interrupt, and
you will be able to use you modem and networkcard.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan