Re: Mail clients (and text editors)

> I was using RedHat 7.2 for a while and I actually liked the KDE setup,
> although a bit heavy weight.  But I also like how light-weight of a setup I
> now have with Debian.  (I suppose I'll need a desktop environment at some
> point.)

  You might give KDE 2.2.2 (from unstable) a try. It feels much lighter in
Debian than RedHat. The nice thing is you could stick to a very light weight
KDE here - maybe just kdebase, konqueror, and konsole - or something like
that.

> So, for graphical mail clients:  Knowing that I'm coming from a simple life
> with Eudora (and have never liked Outlook), any comments or simple
> overviews of the following:

  That makes things easier than for Outlook users...

> Evolution:

  Nice, although I hear it has a number of annoying bugs. Also it doesn't
seem to handle GPG/PGP very well. If you use KDE, prepare for the fact it
won't integrate at all.

> Mahogany:

  Can't remember why I didn't like this one - I think it's contact manager
was too light for my taste, IIRC.

> Aethera:

  Personally, I see theKompany as a company without a clear vision. Aethera's
latest beta is the buggest yet from what I have heard. It'd probably be wise
to look elsewhere. This is a pure QT app now, it does not integrate with KDE,
and Palm syncing requires a proprietary $10 product.

> Balsa:

  Fine, although like Mahogany if you want anything more then the most basic
contact management, look elsewhere.

  Let me recommend KMail. It's light weight, has a nice selection of features
(including IMAP), a very nice contact manager, good speed on even very large
folders (I'm on the SuSE list, and it only takes a matter of maybe 10 sec. on
my old 450 MHz desktop for a 50,000 message folder to load). Small folders
are very responsive.
  I moved from Outlook to KMail and I've been very pleased with it - it has a
great interface. Oh, and the filters are very good too!

> And not related to email, anyone have a replacement suggestion (other than
> Emacs ;) for my old basic friend on the windows side of Program File Editor
> (pfe)?

  If you are looking for a text-based interface, I'd recommend nano (a "pico"
clone). For a GUI, Kate provides a very nice MDI interface, that seems like a
light IDE. I really like both of these editors a lot.

> I'd also like to find a nice client like SecureCRT for linux.  Something a
> little more feature rich than xterm.

  Well, if you want some kind of better shell, take a look at Konsole. It is
nicely customizable, and you can run a bunch of sessions concurrently in one
window. It works great.

  Best,
     Tim

Timothy R. Butler                    tbutler@uninetsolutions.com