Re: lilo problem

hi ya rudy

- first test that the sid kernel boots and oyu have sid running...
  by putting it onto floppy...and boot off floppy
	- sometimes it might not boot till you rdev the boot floppy
	( the part i am wondering about for your kernel & system

- once you know sid boots and redhat also boots...
  than we can fix lilo ...

- it doesnt matter where you put the kernel...
  it doesnt matter where "boot=/dev/xxx" references
	- lilo will warn you if you pick hdc instead of hda

- it does matter that rh kernel can find /dev/hda1
  it does matter that sid kernel can find /dev/hdc1
	( or wherever you have / partition for each distro )

	- rdev is a way to force it easily on floppy..
	( to know that the kernel works fine as does the "distro"

	- i dont know if you can rdev a "kernel file"
	( i think you can )... and if not.. youhave to make your own
	kernel on hdc1 and copy it to hda1

- you'd need initrd if the kernel doesnt have all its drivers
  for the hardware the kernel needs to read from since the kernel
  is on disks it does not yet know how to read -- catch-22 problem
	- scsi and usb-drives probably needs initrd
	until you've made your own kernel w/ all its drivers built in

have fun lilo'ing
alvin