Re: 3c905c-TX-M hangs with much traffic (UPDATE)

* Sebastiaan (S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL) spake thusly:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Steffen Evers wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 15:40, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > > several days ago I posted this message to the list, and it was said that
> > > it is most probably a kernel bug.
> > >
> > > Well, I installed windoze on that computer (win98) and used the 3com's
> > > driver, but I have the same problem: when transferring huge amounts of
> > > data (several hunderds of MB's from a local network, so the card has to
> > > work full speed), the card bugs out. Well, with one difference: windoze
> > > hangs too, in some cases.
> > >
> > > So I think my card is buggy. Is there anything known about this problem
> > > (perhaps)?
> > I have read a few days ago that there are fake 3Com cards of that type
> > around. 3Com adviced their customers to contact their local dealer or
> > 3com directly if they encounter any problems.
> >
> > Maybe that is the problem ...
> >
> Hmmm, I bought it at my university shop a year ago. AFAIK they buy it from
> a company that buys directly from the import. But I will go back with the
> card, there's a life long guarantee on those cards (that's what I read).

The other possibility is that it's sharing an interrupt with some
other card, and mobo can't handle it. Check /proc/interrupts and
try swapping cards and marking interrupts as "used by ISA" in BIOS.

Dima
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number