Re: app segfaults on startup in debian woody/sid

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:34:18PM -0800, John Quigley wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm porting the Torque Game Engine from Garage Games (www.garagegames.com) to
| Linux.  The engine already runs fine on several linux distributions,
| including redhat, mandrake, suse, and also debian 2.2.
|
| However it does not work on debian woody or sid.  It compiles ok, but when I
| try to start it, it crashes immediately with a segfault, before it even gets
| to main().  However it works if I configure it to statically link.
| Unfortunately I need to be able to dynamically link it.  I've tried both gcc2
| and 3 with no luck.
|
| I really want to get the engine up and running on debian, but I'm not sure
| what the next step is in debugging this problem.  Any help is appreciated.

ulimit -c unlimited
$APP # the one that segfaults
gdb $APP core

You run the app.  When it dies, load the core file into a debugger and
find out where and why.  If you don't like command-line debuggers, try
GVD or DDD as gui frontends to gdb.

HTH,
-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.