Re: Potato to Woody Notes/Comments

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:13:04AM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> Thought I'd post my experiences here with my Potato to Woody upgrade.
> Being a idiot, I haven't followed this list for awhile and didn't read
> the release notes until after the upgrade but I think the results may be
> interesting nonetheless. Unfortunately I didn't use the script command
> but I kept pretty good notes.
>
> 1. Installed potato from CDROM and http to get latest stuff including
> security entry.
> 2. Added woody to sources.list
> 3. apt-get update
> 4. apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Not upgrading dpkg and apt first is likely the cause of man-db,
xfonts-base, and xbase-clients going missing.

> Section 3.3.1 says "early versions use static versions of dpkg and apt,
> 2.1 or later can use installed apt and dpkg".
>
> Here many people have suggested in this forum that the apt and dpkg
> should be upgraded to woody first and then procede with the whole
> process. I think this should be added to the notes.

Yes, it should be.

> This is where the suggestions diverge with some saying there should be
> a script etc.for ugrade.
>
> Is it possible to create a upgrade-woody package that depends on dpkg
> and apt and any other prerequisites that loads them and then as a post
> process starts apt-get(the new version) to do the actually upgrade?

No, because where would you put such a script, and how would you update
it? This is a chicken-and-egg problem - it's easier and safer to
document the procedure in the release notes.