Pin, Pin-Priority, and Tracking

I recently dist-upgraded to Woody, using a script by Osamu Aoki. It took many hours over ppp,
but it worked. Thanks, Osamu!

And he is right in saying the install of Woody is too easy. Beyond stumbling onto his post telling about his script very little was required of me. But now a question:

Part of the upgrade was, of course, upgrading apt-get and dpkg. The script installed a file /etc/apt/preferences which had not been there before and gave some brief instructions about something called "tracking". I'm guessing this new stuff has something to do with keeping track of stable, testing, and unstable all at once. What does this stuff really do? How does it
work? Where do I look to find out?

Thanks,

Paul