Re: NFS behind a firewall

<quote who="Ron Johnson">

> now, it _*might*_ be possible to tunnel sunrpc thru ssh.  I say
> that because it is possible to tunnel the X Windows ports thru 23,
> so why not sunrpc?

i think because sunrpc is UDP, and i don't think ssh can
tunnel UDP services. you can run NFS over TCP but its marked
experimental in linux 2.2 (not sure about 2.4) there are docs
out there on how to run NFS over SSH ..once i saw that it
required NFS over TCP i stopped.

i agree with you though, scp would be best, that or rsync over
ssh.

NFS over UDP behind a firewall would be difficult as the rpc
services use random ports.

either that or use some sort of VPN software(i use vtund on
a bunch of systems, works great).

nate