Re: NFS behind a firewall

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:39:32 -0500 Ayman Haidar <haidara@geneseeurgentcare.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how to setup NFS behind a firewall. I am trying to
> access my office linux box which is behind a DSL router from home
> where I have a cable modem.
>
> the issue is I need to know what ports I need to open on the office
> router so I can mount a folder from my linux box.
>
> the other thing is I want to be able to route it through ssh to make
> sure things are secure. I think it's not that hard once I know the ports.
>
> I do have access to everything, and I run debian potato in the office,
> debian sid on my laptop.

Hi,

IMHO:
Doing that is _very_ insecure.  Better to install ssh, and open port 23.
Then, use scp (secure cp) and copy files back and forth.  Extra work,
but security always is.

now, it _*might*_ be possible to tunnel sunrpc thru ssh.  I say that
because it is possible to tunnel the X Windows ports thru 23, so why
not sunrpc?

One final note: unless you have a fractional T-3 running between the
office and house, it'll be _really_ slow.  NFS was designed for high-
speed LANs, not WANs.  scp is designed for WANs.

Sincerely,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |