Re: OT: Web Standards

<quote who="Kent West">

> In other words, are the W3C standards sufficient to provide a
> browser-agnostic world, with all the features that designers need?
> Or  does the W3C-approved label simply mean that the page is coded
> to the  least common denominator, and is therefore not practical
> for
> PHB-oriented web sites?

i doubt it ..especially on older browsers (netscape 4.x, IE4/3),
these browsers have bugs that screw with the standards ..i'd rather
have a website that is viewable even if it looks weird then
not be able to view it at all.

makes me think of when Opera and MS were having a little PR fight
over CSS? or some recent web technology. Opera said IE wasn't
compliant and had a webpage to proove it(their press release).
So i clicked on that link in opera 5/linux(latest usable one
for me), guess what! nothing but a blank page. nothing was
rendered.

one of the in house programmers where i work came up with a
MySQL employee directory, i loaded it in Netscape 4.7x, guess
what! blank page..nothing rendered. if i view source its
all there, otherwise, it doesn't load at all.

Mozilla is too slow for me(Most of my machines are 700+Mhz
and 512MB+ ram). Konquerer requires too many libraries and
can break easily because of its dependancy on KDE libs.
Gaelon is the same, depends on a lotta gnome libs which
can break easily(I don't like bleeding edge)
Netscape 6 is about as slow as mozilla. Mozilla is a DOG
on my work machine, a P3-733 512MB ram, Matrox G400 16MB
video, Ultra160 SCSI drive. rendering is ok, but the UI
is soooooooooooooo slow.

so that leaves me with:
Opera 5.x (Opera 6 is unusuable for me, see other threads on why)
Netscape 4.7x(buggy but i still like it a lot)

I could run IE at near native speeds inside VMWARE(vmware
screams on my systems), but i hate IE, and its so insecure
i won't go near it. Ironic that i loved IE back in the 2.0 and
3.0 days, once IE4 beta 2 came out i started switching to
netscape, and haven't looked back..sort of opposite of many
others.

anyways, back to the topic ..if strict W3C compliance means
the pages will break severely in some browsers i don't think
it's worth it. If the page looks weird but is still USABLE
then thats fine from my point of view.

just be sure it doesn't spit up a blank page without rendering
a thing though!

oh how i miss the days of simple html pages and graphics,
none of the java, javascript, flash, CSS, or any of the other
fancy crap. An ideal WWW for me would have everything
be server side.

nate