Re: Dell Optiplex Network

* William Lacy (billy@swt.edu) spake thusly:
> I tried the 3c509 but it didn't work- it didn't say 'Vortex'.  I tried the
> GX110 again today just to verify that I remembered the number correctly (which
> I did) and there was no Vortex listed.  As I remember, previous CDs had a lot
> more NIC drivers.
>
> I usually install from the net without even loading a NIC driver.  I'm
> wondering if it is because it is a Dell integrated network interface.  We have
> a lot of Dells here and I like them but they are a bit proprietary which is the
> only thing I don't care for.  (They are really easy to work on :)
>
> In any event I started the install from CD and am planning on compiling a
> kernel and seeing if I can get something going with the modules.

In case you missed the rest of the thread:

1. which version of debian are you trying to install?
2. what cd are you installing from? Each boot floppy comes with
   a file called "kernel-config", located in the same directory
   as floppy image on ftp server. Just search for "vortex" in
   it; most have CONFIG_VORTEX=m.
3. the module is 3c59x.

4. I have 2 Dells with integrated Vortex NICs right here, both are
   running debian just fine (& there's more running RedHat just fine).
   So, no, Dell's integrated NIC shouldn't be a problem, at least not
   the 509 one.

Dima
--
Backwards compatibility is either a pun or an oxymoron.                  -- PGN