Re: OT: Web Standards

* Paul 'Baloo' Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) spake thusly:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
> > and, perhaps worst of all, sites that abandon HREF tags in favor of
> > javascript event handlers that are functionally identical, aside from
> > breaking if javascript is disabled.  The entire concept of "graceful
> > degradation" appears to have been forgotten.
>
> Which is completely insane, the only time I ever see this is for stupid
> things like tracking where people go on a website, despite the fact all
> they'd have to do is write a script that parses the referrer logs, add
> an apache module, or (best yet) use a cookie to do this (because the
> user can easily opt out of this, especially in more modern browsers like
> Mozilla that don't have an all-or-nothing attitude towards cookies).

I'm sure you realise that there is no reliable way to track certain
Vital Statistics[tm], like number of visitors, without having the whole
site scripted. Of course, if your business model is based on those
Vital Statistics, you have a big problem -- but the problem is not
related to a particular scripting language.

> Another group of lowlife morons who should be violently killed in front
> of thier children.

You must kill the children, too -- otherwise they'll just make more
morons later.

And while you're bashing webmorons, don't forget w3c and browser
writers: both Netrape and IE are incapable of rendering certain CSS
constructs (although they're different constructs in each version of
each browser), and CSS specification itself has several pearls in it
(like default font size in CSS/non-CSS documents).

Dima
--
Backwards compatibility is either a pun or an oxymoron.                  -- PGN