Re: eth0 (previously - pcmcia)

"Vaughan, Curtis" <Curtis@npc-usa.com> writes:

> Ok, everyone can forget my letter (FW: pcmcia).  I've got my card working
> now.  But now I don't know how to do the following.
>
> After I installed the appropriate module, I knew the card was
> working because of the IP traffic diode.  Previously, this would
> only light up after configuring eth0.  I can enter ifconfig eth0 up
> (or down), but it makes no difference.  I can seem to peg an ip
> address to it either.  What's going on?

see ifconfig(8) for more information (man ifconfig)

The better way is to set up /etc/network/interfaces as previosuly
mentioned - this way the interfaces are configured upon start up.

ifconfig, on the otherhand, is different and is for manually tuning
your networking interfaces.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up

for example. This will put eth0 up at 192.168.0.1. However, you'll
have to deal with routing (route(8)).

OTOH, if you want to use dhcp, try pump, dhcpcd, dhcp-client -
whatever's on your machine. This make it a lot easier (provided you
have a dhcp server on the net).

Elizabeth