Squid enforcing

I have  2 routes/gateways to the internet. I want squid to use gateway A and all other traffic gateway B. In case of problems on route through A I want squid to use route through B as an alternative.

I managed this by having the default route going through B; having squid to give it a parent (the ISP's) ; using the route-command to lead squid through gateway A to this parent.

It works but .... every new lookup for new urls by squid gives some (initial) traffic through gateway B (is isdn so costs money). I think squid tries to determine the fastest connection, direct or through the parent (rtt).

My question is: does anyone know how to solve this problem.

Squid runs on Potato some modifications of squid.config, where the folowing two lines should do it:

cache_peer proxy-parent-at-isp parent 8080 3128 no-query
prefer_direct off

I also tried to add the line:

singel_parent_bypass

But that was not recognized at the restart of squid.

Greetings
Piet Knoester

p.knoester@fpk.nl      work
knoester@xs4all.nl    home

Dit e-mail bericht is louter ter vereenvoudiging van communicatie
en kan niet tot enige verbintenis leiden.
Bezoek ook onze website:  www.fpk.nl