Re: Which Kernel 2.4.* or 2.2

On Monday 18 February 2002 09:18 pm, Gary Turner wrote:
[snip]
> Please correct me if I have misunderstood.  It was my impression that
> the odd numbered kernel sub-versions eg., 2.1, 2.3, 2.5 are/were
> testing/unstable.  When they are ready for prime time, they are
> promoted.  Thus 2.1 became 2.2, 2.3 became 2.4, and the current working
> version 2.5 will become 2.6 when ready for release.  Is there any reason
> to thinks that there are anything more than minor bugs in 2.4.x?

my understanding of the kernel numbering system is the same as yours. as far
as bugs in the 2.4 series are concerned, i've found 2.4.17 to be as bug-free
as it gets, so far, after two months of use. 2.4.14 crashed every 2 to 3
days, and that seems to have been a common experience according to accounts
given on the list. i believe it had something to do with usb negotiation.

ben