Setting up ALSA in Debian

Hi everyone,
  I'm a new debian user, coming over here from SuSE and Mandrake-land. :-)
I'm not quite use to this manual setting up of hardware stuff, but I must say
I'm really impressed with apt-get so far (not to mention the Debian menu
system, which I've enjoyed over in Mandrake also).

  Anyway, to get to my problem. I'm having some trouble getting ALSA to work
on my SB Live! card. <very-basic-problem-description>I can't seem to get ALSA
to work.</very-basic-problem-description> :-)

  Verbose problem description: ALSA loads, but I can't get any sound.
Alsaconf failed to autodetect my card (odd, it's an SB Live), so I copied my
ALSA section from MDK's modules.conf to /etc/modutils/alsa, and ran
update-modules. Okay, so now when /etc/init.d/alsa is started, everything
loads, and everything looks good in /proc/asound/sndstat and so forth.
Alsamixer also works under root.

  However, alsamixer does not work under my user account, and kmix will not
accept /dev/mixer as the location of the mixer (Mixer doesn't exist, even
though it does). Further more, XMMS can't seem to use the OSS-emu functions
of ALSA, and alsaplayer seems to play, but does not emit sound. Also, KDE's
sound/midi configuration section aborts with a place-saver for an error
message.

  So in the end, everything looks like it should work in ALSA, but
nothing does. Anyone have any ideas?

  Oh, btw, I'm running woody with ALSA 0.9.x and Linux 2.4.17 (I've tried
both the 2.4.16 kernel in testing and the one I'm running now that Jens
Benecke.

  Finally, here is the contents of my /etc/modutils/alsa:

#-----------------------------------
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1