Re: dump or dd image over multiple volumes

on Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 03:20:28PM -0500, Thedore Knab (tjk@annapolislinux.org) wrote:
> I want to create a dual boot machine for a student lab.
>
> Once I build the machine, I want to clone it using dd or dump.

I'd strongly suggest using a file rather than device level tool.  tar
might be preferable to either of your suggestions.  As dd works at a
binary level, you'd be copying all the slack space on your system, far
more slowly than a file-based copying utility.

> I was wondering if dd or dump could be used to created a bootable cd image of
> a hard drive with multiple mount points ?

You've also got other alternatives.

Assuming a network:

    # on source:
    $ cd /
    echo "/mnt/* /net/* /proc /notar" > notar
    $ tar czpsvf - --exclude=notar * |
        ssh -c blowfish -o 'compression no' root@host ( cd /; tar xzpsf -)

...will allow you to "clone" your systems over the network.

Other alternatives are to install the bulk of the operating system
on an NFS (or other network mounted) /usr partition.

Peace.