Re: forgot root password AOL

Em Seg, 2002-02-18 às 20:28, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson escreveu:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 CAPTFRED@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Please advise
>
> When you boot, it'll say LILO for a second before it says Loading
>
> Hit CTRL when it says LILO.  You'll get LILO boot:
>
> Type in linux init=/bin/bash
>
> Remove root's password from /etc/shadow in text editor of choice.

This did not work last time I tried (2.4.17), so I did the following at
that stage: copied my normal user line of shadow to the first line and
changed the username to root, deleted the old root line.

This way you can login as root with your normal user password and of
course change it thereafter.

Michel.