Problem Installing Acrobat Reader

While trying to install Acrobat Reader (which I downloaded on a Netscape
browser) as root (I am a single user) I have the following problem:

I took the suggested destination folder to be /usr/local/Acrobat4 and ran
the installer with no problem. I then again took the guide's advice and
created a symlink as follows <ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat4/bin/acroread
/usr/bin>. Now the guide says to run <% acroreader> but this isn't
recognized by bash, so I ran <./acroreader>. This gave the following error
message: /usr/local/Acrobat4/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroreader can't load
libXt.so.6, so the Acrobat window failed to open. Now I'm stuck. Can anyone
help me out of this?

In other words, the launch script acroread is in two different /bin
directories, which I didn't expect. It's the version I didn't link that has
the problem. I tried linking that one in the same way but bash just says
"You already did that, you idiot" . Then I removed the second acroreader
script, but that was a real no no, so I put the first one back where the
second one was. That makes things worse; nothing happens and I have to
Ctrl+C out of it.