Re: Copying and taring large amounts of data

tar cf - /path-to-be-archived | gzip -c > /new/place/to store-file.tar.gz

Note that this will take a while, too. Hopefully the system won't
stop, though. You might consider running this command with at, say "at
1am" or so, and just let it run for a few hours (days?).  At will run
the command with a "nice" priority.

hth, Elizabeth