Re: OT: Suggestion for next Debian release

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:09:06PM +1030, Tom Cook wrote:
> Tony Crawford wrote:
> >
> > Tom Cook wrote (on 18 Feb 2002 at 10:41):
> >
> > > [You should be more optimistic.]  There is no interest here in
> > > ridiculing anyone, even less someone who formulates his
> > > criticisms and suggestions constructively.
> > >
> > > Here endeth the lesson. ;-)
> >
> > How much is less than no interest?
>
> This is a good point, and one which I in fact considered while writing
> the message.  Although it appears non-sensical to say 'even less' than
> no interest this is a fairly well accepted usage in various idioms.  The
> usage is in fact meant to bring to the reader's mind the very question
> you have asked; if there is no interest in X, how much must we dislike
> Y?

The problem isn't "even less", but the subsequent "someone".  What is
an "even less someone"?  There should be a period (or at least
semicolon) after "anyone". Then, "even less, if criticisms and
suggestions are constructive."  The circumlocution of putting
"constructively" at the end when it modifies "formulates" is all
unnecessary verbiage.

"We have no interest in ridiculing anyone. Even less, if their
criticisms and suggestions are constructive."

"Even less" than "no interest" is an understated emphatic, but
"especially if/when" would probably work better.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>