Re: cvs question

Charles Baker wrote:

> Are there any cvs guru's on the list? I had some files
> that had previously been checked into cvs. There were
> also some files in the same project which had not been
> checked in ever.
>
> I moved the source to a different machine where I had
> set up a new repository. I edited the headers of the
> files that had been checked in before, deleting the
> expanded $ID$ information. I then proceeded to do a
> standard ``cvs import`` of my project. I then checked
> it out to see if all was well. The $Id$ keyword had
> expanded w/ a revision number of 1.1.1.1 in all files,
> indicating a CVS branch. Can anyone tell me why? I was
> really expecting just 1.1 .

This is normal when using 'cvs import' to create a repository. It's a
branch with which you can track 3rd party source trees. See the cvs
book:
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Tracking_Third-Party_Sources__Vendor_Branches_

The version numbers should proceed normally (1.2, 1.3 etc) as you commit
changes.

Really though, you should have just copied the cvs ,v files from the old
repository directly to the new one, so you didn't lose any of the
log/version information from the old archive.

Matthew