Re: ftp and telnet between computers

High,
On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I am working on a computer for friends and want to be able to login to it
> once they take it home so i can fix things at a distance if they have a
> problem. I haven't found a howto that covers this, but if there is one
> please steer me to it and I will read it.
> My questions involve:
> 1. differences between telnet and ftp servers--right now I have ftpd and
> telnetd-ssl installed on both boxes.
Ok, first: forget telnetd; use telnet only on a local trusted lan. Install
sshd instead. So:
apt-get install ssh2

will install the ssh server. To log in, use:
ssh -l cheryl to.the.computer.com

ftp is used for filetransfers, while ssh (and telnet) is just a remote
shell. Also here, ftp is unsafe because it uses no encryption. So avoid it
if you do not really need it. And, as far as I can remember, it is also
possible to copy files with ssh.

And do not try to login as root remotely. It is unsafe and the default
settings for ssh is not to permit root logins. Just login as a normal user
and 'su' to root.

> 2. ip address to use: I have a cable connection to the Internet so only
> have one ethernet ip listed but the other box is on a ppp connection and
> two ips are given when running ipconfig.
Fairly simple: just try both, and see which works :-). And you have to be
sure that it's ip address is static, or you will try to connect to the
wrong computer.

> (3) Other things I need to do to make these connections work between
> boxes.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan