Re: Routing problems in stable

Cameron Kerr <cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz> writes:

> I installed Stable, got the interfaces up and running, both interfaces
> work fine. I enable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward (via
> /etc/network/options, and manually), in order to enable routing of the two
> subnets.

What's Stable?

> Heres the topology
>
> <INTERNET> --- <ADSL>a---b<ROUTER>c--- <INTERNAL_NETWORK>
>
> a = 192.168.1.1
> b = 192.168.1.2
> c = 192.168.0.1
>
> All of the internal network is in the 192.168.0/24 subnet.
>
> I can ping from the internal net, to (b) and (c), but cannot get to (a)
> from there.
>
> I have full connectivity to all boxen (including internet) from ROUTER
> All IPs are configured statically, and correct routes have been verified
> (as far as I can tell, the default route on my test machine on INTERNAL is
> set to use ROUTER as a gateway) Traceroute from INTERNAL shows packets
> going to ROUTER, and nowhere from there.
>
> PROGNOSIS: Packets are not being routed from 192.168.1/24 to 192.168.0/24
> on the machine labelled ROUTER.
>
> Thanks for any hints.

The only thing I can think of is your masquerading setup. I did
something similar (with a cable modem) for a friend using freesco -
http://www.freesco.com/ (or org or net). It's pretty easy to set-up
and boots off a floppy. Has a name server and dhcp server to boot.

You might like to play with tcpdump(8) if you don't already. You can
watch the packets fly around.

The ADSL system may be set up to not allow any packets that are not
from the 192.168.1.0/24 network, in which case you should use
masquerading. (Is this a firewall or just a router?).

Elizabeth