Re: digital camera reccomendations for debian

<quote who="Craig Dickson">

> Gphoto2 allegedly supports my Canon PowerShot G2, but I never got
> it to work; gphoto2 just insisted the camera wasn't there.

hmm, good to know, i guess the info there isn't too
reliable.

> Fortunately, I found a better solution anyway. The G2 uses compact
> flash (CF) cards for storage, and for $20 or so you can buy a USB
> reader for these CF cards. The CF reader looks to Linux like a
> removable SCSI drive, so you just put the card in it, mount the
> card as a VFAT filesystem, and copy the files off of it. No gphoto
> required. Though of course your kernel has to have decent USB
> support, so I don't know if a 2.2 kernel would do.

if this is the usb-storage driver it doesn't appear to
be in 2.2.x ..so i can't use it..

> Consult Digital Photography Review at http://www.dpreview.com for
> expert reviews and user opinions of a wide variety of digital
> cameras.
>
> The PowerShot S300, according to DP Review, uses CF card storage,
> so the card reader trick I mentioned above should work if your
> system has good USB support.

yeah..cept i can't use 2.4.x kernel! too unstable for
my needs.

thanks for the info! that site dpreview.com has a ton of
good info.

nate