Browsers won't connect to modem

I just reinstalled Debian 2.2.r3 from disk, and now I can't get any internet
programs to connect to the modem (which was working fine before). Mozilla
gives "<web address> can't be found" error message and Lynx gives "unable to
connect to remote host" error message. Modem never dials.

- Pppconfig autodetects the modem on /dev/ttyS2, and the pppconfig file has
been set to accept demand dialing;
- setserial has the modem set to irq 5 (runs on boot);
- the modem itself is jumpered to irq 5;
- wvdialconf autodetects the modem on /dev/ttyS2;
- wvdial actually works and connects the modem to the net, although PAP
authentication seems to have trouble with the secrets file;
- output on boot includes the following lines:

        307      ?        S<     0:00     /usr/sbin/diald
     Starting http cache proxy server:wwwoffled.
     WWWOFFLE NOW IN AUTODIAL MODE.

I've followed the instructions on /usr/doc/diald/README.Debian by
configuring /etc/diald/connect and making a /dev/modem symlink to /dev/ttyS2.
I've done everything I can think of that I did the first time around to get the
system set up for internet access, but it isn't working.

Changes to my system from the way I had it configured before:

- I now use "debian" as my hostname instead of "localhost"

- I now have parport and parport-autodetect compiled into kernel. Parport-
autodetect finds my printer on irq 7, so there shouldn't be an irq conflict;
however

- syslog is giving the following messages:
     insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o: invalid parameter parm_irq
     insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o: insmod char-major-6 failed
     modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
     modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
I don't know if this is related or is simply a separate problem. Right now I am
more concerned with the modem than the printer or sound card. Sound card's
presence didn't use to conflict with modem.

Any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.

Keith

This message was sent using PAdotNET WebMail.
              http://www.pa.net/