Re: [ANSWER] Why gpm is weird.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:23:28PM -0500, stan wrote:
| On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:58:29AM -0500, dman wrote:
| >
| > Huh.  I wonder what all this really means ...  I had heard, a while
| > back, that imwheel was no longer needed since X now supports the
| > scroll wheel directly.  I've never actually used imwheel myself.  I
| > also have never seen any problems with gpm+X that weren't PEBKAC.
| > Maybe it depends on the repeat protocol that you specify for gpm.  gpm
| > seems to only support 'ms3' and 'raw' as repeat type.  If I use ms3, I
| > don't get scrolling.  If I use raw (*and use the same protocol in X
| > that gpm uses, ie "imps2" and "IMPS/2"*) then everything works
| > beautifully.
| >
| Could you defien what you maen by "everything just works"? I took a crack
| at this a while back, and could never get what I expected. But then perhaps
| my expectations were too high.
|
| I expected to be able to (for instance) go inoot a page biger than my wndow
| on netscapee, and use the scroll wheel to scroll the viewport of the page
| up/down in that window.
|
| If this is what you ahve working, then I would like to now how.

I use galeon instead of netscape.  GTK+ supports the scroll wheel
events which allows me to scroll through web pages, IM conversations
(everybuddy), the terminal (gnome-terminal), and documents/code
(gvim).  The problem with Motif is it doesn't naturally support the
wheel button events.  I've seen some web pages in the past that listed
a whole bunch of X Resource settings to add to a file to get scrolling
to work with netscape or other Motif apps.

I also have no problem with mouse responsiveness.  I believe the
original problem discussed was sometimes the mouse would simply not
respond.  I haven't had that problem at all.  (oh yeah, my mouse used
to be in the PS/2 port but now is in a USB port.  I haven't tried
gpm+X with the serial mouse I have)

-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.