Re: maximum nuber of messages in mutt?

begin  Ian Balchin  quotation:

> My debian-list folder in mutt has over 5000 messages in it despite
> some weeding out.  Pretty soon I shall have to go and make a coffee
> while waiting for it to open.
>
> How many messages can be stored in that single file where they all
> are?  Doesn't the risk of corruption mean that one day I am going to
> lose the lot (well, i would be really worried in windows).

There are three things that I do to handle this sort of problem:

1. Use maildir format so that each message is in a separate file, thus
   reducing the likelihood that a single error involving some message
   will wipe out the whole folder.

2. Only archive the most interesting messages locally for lists that
   have web-hosted archives. My debian-user folder currently has about
   50 messages in it.

3. Change to a new folder every year for busy mailing lists for which
   I keep complete archives locally.

Craig