Re: mouse freezing

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:16:22PM -0700, Dan Owens wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2002 02:50 pm, christophe barbé wrote:
> > I see the same problem with a USB mouse.
> > It occurs only when I am using the mouse and when the CPU is occupied.
> > I can restore the mouse by switching to the console and then back to X
> > or by unpluging and re-pluging the mouse.
> >
> > I am not sure but I have the impression that it occurs less since I've
> > enabled IRQ during BIOS APM call in my kernel config.
> >
> > I believe it's a timeout somewhere which is triggered when the CPU can't
> > process an event soon enough.
> > I'm not sure where it is. What I found stranger is that X said nothing
> > about it (all logs are empty of mouse related messages).
> > Until today I was thinking it was USB related but we got two reports of
> > this problem in the same day with PS/2 mouse.
>
> I had some similar problems after installing a new motherboard and video
> card.  I spent quite a lot of time working with the video card and nothing
> helped.  I also noticed that it happened when the hard drive was busy.  I

Yes that could be io related. But without DMA disk-io imply CPU usage,
so disk usage produces CPU usage and a timeout occurs somewhere. The
problem is to find where.

> finally ran hdparm and found that the new motherboard didn't set dma on the
> hard drive.  I ran this command:
>
> hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 /dev/hda

Carefull with the X option. Nobody should use it without reading the
manpage first.

> and my transfer rates went from 2.44 to 19.69 and my problems were over.
> Perhaps that will help you, as well.

You no more see the problem but it's still there.
There's no valid reason why X forget the mouse and worst without
complaining. Or this could be at the kernel level. The only thing I am
sure is that it is a BUG. Which can and should be corrected.

Christophe