Config error of some kind

I had to back my laptop off from Woody back to the stable version.
Everything seems to work, except only root is allowed in. In fact, even
though there is a root passwd, it doesn't ask for it when I enter root for
user name and hit enter. Any attempt to login in as a normal user, goes no
where. I also note that when attempting to login as someone else, it always
says please wait while system is starting, before returning the login

Looked at the inittab file, but didn't see any problem there, where else
should I look?