USB webcam setup question

I'm trying to get a C.U.C.US Dragon Eye USB notebook cam working under
Linux. It's supposed to work with the CPiA driver according to one report
I've found on the web. Hasn't for me, so please advice.

First up I've
compiled a kernel (2.4.12) with the following options:

USB support --->

[*] Preliminary USB device filesystem
  <*> Support for USB
  <*> UHCI
Alternate Driver (JE) support

Multimedia devices --->
Video For Linux
--->
  [*] V4L information in proc filesystem
  <M> CPiA Video For Linux

 <M> CPiA USB Lowlevel Support

Then I created a video device:
  mknod
/dev/video0 c 81 0
  ln -s /dev/video0 /dev/video

Finally installed gqcam
to capture video.

/proc/pci lists the following:
  Bus  0, device  20,
function  0:
    USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5237 USB
(rev 3).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.

Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x82100000 [0x82100fff].

Activating the
driver with "modprobe -a cpia" results in the following:
  Warning: loading
/lib/modules/2.4.12/kernel/drivers/media/video/cpia.o will taint the
kernel: no license
But both cpia and cpia_usb are there when I do
lsmod.

Now /proc/bus/usb/drivers lists the following:
         usbdevfs

      hub
         cpia
But /proc/bus/usb/devices is empty.

When I invoke
gqcam I get the following error: /dev/video: no such device.

I'm out of
inspiration now. Hints and uplifting suggestions welcome. Thanks --Hans