Re: Gnome problem

> Ever since my last update adn upgrade gnome has been acting really
> wierd.  For one, I no longer have any icons on my desktop and when I
> right click on it, nothing happens.  I have also noticed that my system
> as a whole is more and more sluggish.  Programs have also been crashing
> at random intervals.  This really distrubes me.  Im hoping and praying
> that someone else is expieriencing this problem.  I am using ximian
> gnome that is slowly warping into the woody version of gnome.  I am also
> using sawfish.  I am hoping it is a software problem because I keep
> hearing this strange grinding noise coming from my box with no
> percievable pattern.  I really am concerned about this.  Any
> suggestions?  Thanks.
> --
Sounds like your WM is configured differently than you want it to be. Go
under the sawfish config program and look around.
The desktop icons might mean that sawfish is ignoring gnome. Look in your
gnome desktop directory to make sure they're still there (under .gnome or
.gnome_private, I forget which).

As for the sound. I would guess you have a fan going out (if you're lucky)
or a drive. Open up the case and track down the sound. If it is a fan, get
a can of compressed air and try to clean out the fan. If that doesn't work,
you have dust in the bearings and should get a new fan before your hardware
pays the price. If it's the drive replace it now while you can still copy
off the data (and hope it's still under warranty).