Re: autofs

Hi, I tried it both, but it still does not work

I did:
cd /
mkdir mounted

then edited configs
here is my /etc/auto.master:
  /mounted /etc/auto.mnt --timout=5

here is my /etc/auto.mnt:
  floppy          -fstype=auto,umask=000          :/dev/fd0

then
/etc/init.d/autofs restart

then
cd ~elf
ln -s /mounted/floppy myfloppy

then inserted floppy disk and
cd myfloppy
the led on floppy drive went on, shell become frozen for few second and
then wrote "bash: cd: myfloppy: neither file nor directory

I thought that my floppy drive is broken, but no
fdformat /dev/fd0 and mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0 went fine ....

		Mirek Dobsicek

Alvin Oga wrote:

hi mirek, caleb

the mount point for autofs should be a directory NOT shared
by others... otherwise... some dirs might disappear for a few minutes

i like /.autofs  for anything autofs related
and /.amd  for anything amd related

and /mnt reserved for users/system to play with
/etc/auto.master
	/.autofs	/etc/auto.floppy --timeout=60

sometimes floppy cannot be mounted by a user... other than root...
( different options seems to work for varying reasons...

/etc/auto.floppy # which ever works for you
	# floppy  -suid,user,fstype=auto   :/dev/fd0
	# floppy  umask=000,fstype=auto   :/dev/fd0

dont forget to restart autofs if you make changes

ln -s /.autofs/floppy /mnt/floppy   or /floppy

ls -ls /mnt/floppy should magically work

have fun linuxing
alvin
http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html