/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lndbm

G'day all - I am trying to build spamassassin from the source-tar
archive on my Potato box (the .deb only works for Woody/Sid).
The Perl Makefile.PL reports something like 'looks good', but a
consecutive 'make' reports:

 souterrain:/home/erik/Mail-SpamAssassin-2.01# make
 cc -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -D_REENTRANT -DDEBIAN -I/usr/local/include
 -O2  spamd/spamc.c \
 -o spamd/spamc -L/usr/local/lib -lnsl -lndbm -lgdbm
 -ldbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt
 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lndbm
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 make: *** [spamd/spamc] Error 1

It seems that my system is missing some file or package. I have looked
around in apt-cache and the like, but no success. I hope some kind and
knowing soul has a pointer for me...

Thanks a lot!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>