First boot hangs on PCMCIA services after install

Hi,
  This is my first attempt at installing debian on my laptop, previously, only doing redhat71 from a presupplied disk.
  I'm running the netinstall for potato2.2r4 from http://markybobdeb.sourceforge.net/elf/.  I can get all the way through the install, to the reboot point, at which everything seems to boot okay, until it tries to load the PCMCIA services.  Then it hangs completely.  I've tried both PCMCIA managers that come with the install package, and neither of them work.  The thing is, I'm not even using a pcmcia card at this point.

here's my system:
Sony PCG-FXA36
Internal ethernet card (configured, as I installed the core system from debain.org)
No PCMCIA cards are inserted.

here's the screen when it hangs:

... (other boot info here)...
Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run.
Initializing random number generator... done.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd klogd
Starting PCMCIA services: modules

and the cursor sits behind modules, and nothing changes.  I've left it for up to 10 minutes, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
Robert Kausch

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!