woody kernel question

I have just done dist-upgrade from Potato to Woody. I have been using/learning
Debian for a few months. This was the first serious change from my initial
installation. The upgrade went smoothly, but took a while at 56k. I found many
nice improvements, but saw that the kernel had not been upgraded. I suppose I
could have known this before hand if I had read the right documents more
carefully, but I didn't.

Now I look at the offerings of kernels in dselect. Which is recommended?
Of course I have to choose one that corresponds to my CPU, but what of
versioning? I see 2.2.20, 2.4.13, 2.4.14, 2.4.16, and 2.4.17. There are
limits to my adventurousness. Which is the likely choise for the default
Woody kernel when it becomes "stable"? I think I would like to use that one
if there are not good reasons to avoid it now.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com