Re: Sharing network from VMWare client

>>>>> "C-Cose" == C-Cose Masters <cmasters@nbnet.nb.ca> writes:
 C-Cose> My questions are then:

 C-Cose> 1. Would I be able to change the vmnet IP to something in the
 C-Cose> 10.x.x.x range? Assuming that would also involve netmask
 C-Cose> changes, what would they be?

you can do this, although I can't recall the terminology vmware uses.
"bridged networking" springs to mind, but I could be wrong.  at any
rate, it's the other of the two options from the one you are using.

but, ...

 C-Cose> 2. Would it be easier to us either forwarding or masquing to
 C-Cose> allow traffic from vmnet1 access to the net through eth0?

IMHO, yes.  this is what I do, and it works great. it means you don't
have to worry about getting a "real" address from your network
people.

 C-Cose> 3. I have none of the "advanced" net packages included:
 C-Cose> ie. ipmasq, ipchains / tables. Which of these would I need.

I think with 2.2 kernels you can use ipchains, which appears to be in
it's own "ipchains" package.  the downside is that you have to
have a kernel that has a few options turned on which are not I think
normally on.  there is a very well written HOWTO on firewalls and
masquerading around somewhere that explain how to do this.

once the kernel is setup, and you've got ipchains installed, you just
do

 # ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.46.0/24 -j MASQ

you will get a warning about enabling forwarding by twiddling a file
in /proc somewhere.  do that, and you're on the net.

--

joe