Re: Sharing network from VMWare client

C-Cose Masters, 2002-Feb-11 20:32 -0400:
> Greetings,
>
> After haveing RTFM'd relevant sources wrt host-client networking for
> VMWare, I am still not able to connect to outside networks (ie www,
> email, etc.) from any VM guest (curr W98).
>
> Although the VMWare docs and Compton's "VMWare 2 for Linux" are ~very~
> descriptive, they are neither informative nor ~illustrative~ about
> configuring this combination to work.
>
> Some of you may already know that VMWare accomplishes networking through
> virtual interfaces. All the docs describe networking configurations that
> ~assume~ IP's of both physical and virtual interfaces to be on the same
> subnet (or group of them). However, my setup is as follows (output from
> ifconfig):

The interface configured is probably for host-only networking,
set to access you local linux filesystem.  You can change the
config for this interface to be bridged in the Configuration
editor and that will allow you to access the outside networks.

You could also reconfigure VMware to have two virtual interfaces,
one for host-only and one for bridged.  You would need to rerun
the vmware-config.pl script to create this.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User